Saturday 25 May 2013

Let's talk about dementia - Silence

Welcome to the seventh of my seven ‘mini’ blogs for UK Dementia Awareness Week 2013. They are all themed around talking about dementia, exploring different aspects of conversation from the point of view of people who are living with dementia, carers and families.

Day 7 - Take your chance to talk

I love talking about dementia, talking with people who have dementia or who care for someone with dementia – there is so much richness in each person’s experience that if you could bottle it, it would be priceless.

We often take the opportunity to talk to each other for granted, until it is replaced with silence.  I miss talking (often total rubbish!) to my dad. Now our ‘conversations’ are more one-way than they ever were – me recounting my news, asking for his guidance, wishing for his presence and always telling him I love him.

The silence we share now is not as beautiful as it was when he was here. When I could still hold his hands, kiss his cheek, and do all the little things that made him feel comfortable and loved. Now I long for the chance to have him in front of me and to be able to talk to his face again.

Never let the chance to talk to someone you love pass you by, even if you find the conversation difficult. They might want to talk about dementia but not know how to begin that discussion. They might have dementia and be feeling lonely and ignored. But whatever is said, be glad you can say it, hear it, and share those moments – they are what makes life, in all its guises, so unique and special.


Until next time...

Beth x






You can follow me on Twitter: @bethyb1886
LIKE D4Dementia on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment